We’re on the way to Heathcote!
Jun 29, 2010
Posted by on
The O’Keefe rail trail will extend all the way to Heathcote within three years with funding for the development announced in Bendigo yesterday, by Minister for Regional and Rural Development, Jacinta Allan. The State Government is providing $1.9 million and the City of Greater Bendigo $1.3 million over the next three years. It’s been fantastic to see state and local government get together on a project like this. We’re tremendously excited and now the real action starts!
The Friends have many people to thank in getting the project to this stage, not least our Convenor Garry Long, who’s put in many, many hours so far. There have also been a veritable crowd of others including:
- the communities of Axedale and Heathcote who have been extremely supportive
- the Mayor Rod Campbell
- Director of City Futures, Stan Liacos, and officers in his department
- Bruce McClure and Sri Prasanna from the City of Greater Bendigo
- Rail Trails Australia, and people from the Murray to Mountains and East Gippsland Rail Trails
- and all the people who rallied to send letters and emails of support for the funding application
Thank you everyone. Now the hard work starts in earnest.
If you’d like to get involved, our next meeting will be on Thursday 22 July at 7.00 pm. Drop us a note on our contact page and we’ll give you details.